Thursday, September 16, 2010

Dry Cleaning

I used to think it was so funny that the fanciest dry cleaner in NYC was Madame Paulette, the "french" dry cleaner, as on my many stays in France I always found the dry cleaners to be a bit of a joke cleaning-wise (and very expensive) in comparison to the US. Things are no different here in Switzerland.  Not a week goes by when I don't have some kind of small altercation at the dry cleaners, no matter which one I go to.  I'm so over it, I let my husband handle his own dry cleaning & shirt laundering (sorry love).  Here are some of the things I miss from my friendly neighborhood dry cleaners from the good-old days in NYC...


Free Delivery and Pick-Up
One-Hour Service
In-house tailoring
Starch (be it light, medium or heavy - how ever you like it!)
Clothes ready in 24 hours max
Friendly know-you-by-name service
No waiting on lines
Any stain removed
The prices! $1.25 / shirt versus 6 here - what's up with that?
Not having to pay extra for the hanger (sorry, how else can I get the shirt home?)


On the up side, I have found the most genius seamstress - Andrade Belmira at La Boîte à Couture in Versoix.  She has blown me away with her super friendly (and fast!) service, sarcastic sense of humor, and she has never met a jeans hem that she couldn't tackle (and I'm kind of religious about my seven's).  Merci mille fois!!




Grand-Montfleury 54
1290 Versoix
022 755 55 54





2 comments:

  1. I hear you! Keep it coming! I love your blog except that you don't post as often as I need you to!!!

    Btw, have you ever been to a Swiss Cobbler? Its just as bad/expensive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel! I am trying to post more often, actually I can barely hold myself back, but it's hard squeezing everything in between work and toddler...
    I actually had a good experience at a cobbler recently. They told me my heels would be ready in 20 minutes, and I thought I mis-heard him. Sure enough, I returned and they were ready - shocking! n.a.i.s.

    ReplyDelete